[lbo-talk] Boycotting the unorganized?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Jan 21 00:14:26 PST 2005

At 6:25 PM -0600 20/1/05, Chuck0 wrote:

>>What are you on about? The IWW isn't some kind of secret society.
>
>You mean the prohibition about revealing the identities of IWW
>members in public was changed? This list is publicly accessible. In
>an era of Google, any prospective employer can search the Internet
>and find your name or my name on this list. As somebody who probably
>has been unable to find work, possibly in part due to my name being
>on the Internet, this concerns me.
>
>Even if this isn't current IWW policy, it's a good idea not to
>reveal people's union affiliation on a public list.

Why? I'm not ashamed of being an IWW member. I'll be damned if I'll hide what I stand for. Come dungeons dark or gallows grim. As for being unemployable because of your politics, the answer isn't to cringe before the rich man's frown Chuck.

It suits today the weak and base,

Whose minds are fixed on pelf and place

To, cringe before the rich man's frown

And haul the sacred emblem down.

Anyhow, there's nothing in the IWW constitution proscribing a member from revealing the identities of other IWW members. Its probably just an urban myth.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas