[lbo-talk] Re: boycotting the unorganized (middle class)

Turbulo at aol.com Turbulo at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 14:58:45 PST 2005

You think it's that straightforward? You think people don't cling to myths as defenses against unpleasant realities? Americans hear from the day they're born that we're all middle class and upwardly mobile and life is constantly getting better. Of course a lot of that is a crock, but telling someone they're full of it is more likely to get you a punch in the face than a new recruit.

Doug

Karl Marx: "As to the prejudices of so-called public opinion, to which I have never made concessions, now as aforetime the maxim of the great Florentine is mine: 'Follow your own couse, and let the people talk.'"

Doug Henwood: "As to the prejudices of so-called public opinion, which I have always taken scrupulously into account when considering how (or whether) to express my ideas, now maybe a little more than aforetime the injunction of the familiar road sign is mine: 'Proceed with Caution.'"