[lbo-talk] Boycotting the Unorganized?

Duncan M. Clark dclark at ptd.net
Sun Jan 23 15:04:30 PST 2005

On Sunday, January 23, 2005 at 12:20:16 PM, Doug wrote:

> John Lacny wrote:

>>And once again, people are making this issue far more complicated than it
>>is.

> Yeah, I agree. I think someone brought up the old aphorism that hard
> cases make bad law, and it seems that everyone is looking for the
> hard cases here. I don't really understand why.

Thank you.

And re: Doug's earlier comparison of this discussion thread with the ticking time bomb torture defense, somewhere Zizek described how that scenario was a bogus argument, because _of course_ physical coercion will be used in such a situation, regardless of law. The floating of that argument was pretty transparently part of the larger strategy of laying some pro-torture legal groundwork.

So, setting aside Michael's original quandary, what is the fascination here with exceptional cases? Obviously there's no conscious strategy behind our collective barroom bullshit-slinging, to use Chuck0's analogy, but this is just the kind of meme I'd sow if I wanted to watch the fractured left pry itself apart some more.

-- Best regards,

DMC mailto:dclark at ptd.net