twisted underoos Re: [lbo-talk] Ever more opportunities

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 3 11:38:42 PDT 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>

>> So it's not worth arguing with people who have millions of
>> listeners/readers? Did you ever read Theories of Surplus Value? Was
>> Marx wasting his time arguing with the hacks of his day?
>
>I had this exact argument with a local SDS leader (I had recruited him
>to SDS myself)in the summer of '69. Two months later he switched over to
>the Weatherman faction of SDS, and from there he drifted out of
>political activity completely. That's the usual result of obsession with
>the far right.

For someone who lectures other people on their logical faults, you're basing an awful lot on a single datapoint from 36 years ago.

> Your position (and that of others obsessed with Fox) is
>essentially an ultra-left position.

I watch Fox for an hour or two every few days for edutainment. That's hardly an obsession.

Your argument here is unusual. More usual (see Cockburn, Alexander; Proyect, Louis) is that an obsession with the right is a soft left position: vote Dem or the storm troppers will take over! To an ultraleftist there's hardly a dime's worth of difference between Hillary Clinton and Bill O'Reilly.

Doug