[Fwd: Re: [lbo-talk] Obscure question on origin of ethnic slur]

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 13:57:37 PDT 2005

In fact I forgot to translate a historically important sentence: "Dobil khazarov Tamarlan," "Tamarlane destroyed the Khazars." Gotta love that Tamarlane. Has there ever been anybody who destroyed as many civilizations as that guy? He makes Hitler and Stalin look like little wound-up dolls, laughable pretenders to the throne.

BTW Solzhenitsyn's book, which I recommend to everyone, has a great chapter on the pogroms of the 1880s. I had no idea thaat the People's Will groups were so involved -- makes one wonder if they planned such a reaction when they offed Alexander II. I always thoght that they were liberal in goals if not in means, but I guess I was wrong. The quotes he gives from the PW pamphlets of that time read like a 19th-century anti-Semitic version of the Spartacist League: "The pogroms are the beginning of an international movement... not against Jews as Jwas, but against Zhids, the exploiters of the people..." "No to the Tsar, no to capitalism, and no to the Jews, the vanguard of capitalism!" Apparently the tsarist authorities (put in place by the now-assassinated liberal Alexander II) thought this was the beginning of a revolutionary movement, and tried to assuage it by obeying their demands to restrict Jewish access to power. Hilariously, they closed the Kharkov veterinary college to Jews -- "we must keep them away from our livestock!" was the reasoning, I guess. That's Sol's version of history, anyway.

--- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> And here I thought it was a commentary on my
> translation skills. ;)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

____________________________________________________ Sell on Yahoo! Auctions – no fees. Bid on great items. http://auctions.yahoo.com/