[lbo-talk] A time of doubt for atheists

Matt lbo3 at beyondzero.net
Thu Jul 21 14:02:05 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:47:26AM -0500, Tommy Kelly wrote:

[...]

> that cannot be pushed aside. Science is getting closer, each generation,
> to figuring out the nature of the big bang, but what came before it is to
> broad a scope to figure out (thus I'm open minded toward a deity).

Have to pick a nit. The concept of "before the big bang" is nonsensical. The Big Bang is the beginning of *the Universe*, in all its dimensions, one of which is *time*. One event preceeding another, such that one thing is before the other, requires time that extends at least as far as these two events.

So asking what came before the big bang is like drawing a 6 inch line on a piece of paper and then moving left on the line past its left-most end but still staying on the line. It can't be done, by definition, just like statements about what came "before the Big Bang" don't make any sense.

Physicist aren't bothered by this definciency in the theory, if you see it as such, because it's a human mind/language limitation. That is why we use mathematics.

Big Bang's first 3 minutes: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

Without disclosure there is no truth, without truth no accountability.

-Richard Thieme