[lbo-talk] "I pledge allegiance to the UN...

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 14:28:03 PDT 2005

me:
> >Luckily, Jesuits have a sense of humor...

Doug:
> Do they believe in God? If so, in what sense? I've heard that it's
> standard in liberal Catholic & Protestant seminaries to treat god &
> the bible as metaphors.

I'd say that almost all of them believe in God. Otherwise, they wouldn't have become priests, with all the limits on their lives (chastity, poverty, obedience). Some or most are in because they're totally insecure about sexual issues, but that's not enough. The ones who do break their vows stay in, I think, because they believe in the God.

The reason why the Jesuits are shrinking in number these days is because so few men are willing to take the vows...

BTW, is MissPoppy (http://www.misspoppy.com/?kbid=1198&img=2004_12x6_basic_fashion.gif) for real? or is it a spoof? JD