[lbo-talk] "Damn, did God piss in your cheerios?"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jun 9 06:28:51 PDT 2005

Chuck:
> If people wanted to believe that blue aliens came to Earth 3000 years
> ago and handed some religious teachings to some awestruck shepards, I
> wouldn't care as long as these people weren't trying to control my life.
> I pick up the banner of anti-religious activism only because religious
> fundamentalists are determined to tell me and others how to live our
> lives. What's worse, they seek state power to enforce their nonsensical
> beliefs through violent coercion. As I see it, part of the reason why
> the U.S. is a dangerous state is due in part to the widespread belief in
> religious nonsense by millions of Americans. This belief system feeds
> into the popular belief system of American exceptionalism. As these
> religious moonbats see it, America is a country supported by their god,
> therefore anything or anybody critical or opposed to America is a
> dangerous enemy.
>
> I don't care about the nuances of the progressive religious left. I know
> they exist, they can go do their thing. I want religion out of my life
> so I will opt for anti-religion activism.

I could not agree more - religion is a crutch and a safety blanket for feeble minded people to shield them from their existential anxieties. The questions is, however, why does this mental disorder reach epidemic proportions in the US, while it is hardly noticeable in most civilized countries, such as France?

My answer, grounded in anthropological research, is: alternative mechanisms of coping with anxieties and uncertainties. Countries with relatively stable political systems that effectively address everyday needs of citizens, such as health, old age security, freedom from fear and threat etc, have little or no use for religion. In countries that do not, however, people must resort to superstition to obtain peace of mind and emotional comfort.

Since the political system of the United States thrives on fear mongering and anxiety producing social inequalities and instability - the need for a mental crutch to deal with anxieties is greater than elsewhere. Lo and behold - religious superstition in higher demand than elsewhere in the civilized world.

Wojtek