[lbo-talk] "Damn, did God piss in your cheerios?"

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 07:08:13 PDT 2005

On 6/9/05, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> I could not agree more - religion is a crutch and a safety blanket for
> feeble minded people to shield them from their existential anxieties. The
> questions is, however, why does this mental disorder reach epidemic
> proportions in the US, while it is hardly noticeable in most civilized
> countries, such as France?
>
> My answer, grounded in anthropological research, is: alternative mechanisms
> of coping with anxieties and uncertainties. Countries with relatively
> stable political systems that effectively address everyday needs of
> citizens, such as health, old age security, freedom from fear and threat
> etc, have little or no use for religion. In countries that do not, however,
> people must resort to superstition to obtain peace of mind and emotional
> comfort.
>
> Since the political system of the United States thrives on fear mongering
> and anxiety producing social inequalities and instability - the need for a
> mental crutch to deal with anxieties is greater than elsewhere. Lo and
> behold - religious superstition in higher demand than elsewhere in the
> civilized world.

unbelievable. i might even agree with wojtek (to a degree. to reduce it all to this would be, well, reductionist, but it seems to me like this probably IS going on).

this seems to me to line up with doug's post about income inequality, myths of mobility, etc., and some earlier discussion along similar lines.

no?

-- Among medieval and modern philosophers, anxious to establish the religious significance of God, an unfortunate habit has prevailed of paying to Him metaphysical compliments.

- Alfred North Whitehead