[lbo-talk] Leading Scientists Still Reject God

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jun 9 08:36:46 PDT 2005

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> well, i'm trying to understand exactly what direct action against
> religion or the religious right would look like. what are the targets
> and what kinds of campaigns are you talking about? i'm not saying you
> need to have all the answers in order to make the case. i'm just
> looking for examples that we can use to talk about it.
>
> it would help me get a handle on what you mean and what i think about
> it. it might even mean i could help, if i understood better what you
> actually think any of this would look like in practice.

Take the American Family Association for example. There are several possible campaigns that can be organized against them. An educational effort could be organized against them, similar to the various groups that are dogging and exposing Fox News. You could organize civil disobedience outside of their offices, or you could organize direct action to disrupt their campigns. One could organize creative protests to mock the AFA and adbust their media campaigns. If people are brave enough, you could organize education campaigns that go door-to-door in the south and/or target churches.

Or take AFA's efforts to take over the airwaves to spread their hate messages. You can fight this through reformism (lobbying the FCC). You can organize campaigns in towns with AFA repeaters and organize people around a message of local media, not robot christian media. You can monkeywrench AFA repeater stations through pirate radio or simple sabotage of their transmission site. Or if civil disobedience is more your style, blockade the offices of AFA's radio division with a sit-down occupation.

So those are some suggestions for action that didn't require millions of dollars to fund research into the AFA.

Fight back and give them a taste of their own medicine. Make resistance to them visible, especially in the so-called "red states."

Chuck