[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 16 09:04:47 PDT 2005

>[lbo-talk] An Appeal to Ignorance
>Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
>Thu Jun 16 08:09:34 PDT 2005
<snip>
>and btw - part of what stopped me was yoshie being yoshie -- namely,
>in this case, completely (i think deliberately, because she's not
>that stupid) misreading my point about scientists rejecting
>religion, which was not that it's all western religion, but that to
>reject ""religion" is utterly non-sensical, especially when no one
>on this list has -- unless i missed it, which i admit is possible --
>satisfactorily defined religion. and i'll bet those scientists
>can't, either. unless precision only matters with atoms and
>molecules (aka, "real" knowledge), and not with cultural phenomena.
>the disdain of so many scientists for the humanistic disciplines is
>really staggering, sometimes. and i encounter that in my work.
<snip>
>and this is why i keep saying that scientists don't reject
>"religion" or "god", but fairly specific conceptions of religion and
>god. to claim anything else is to be, well, unscientific.

By that logic, not just scientists but no one else can reject religion, since, in your opinion, "true rejection" should entail not only rejection of actually-existing religions but also all possible religions (which are unlike actually-existing religions and which may never even come to exist). That's like saying that one can never reject X (e.g., capitalism), because rejecting actually-existing forms of X (e.g., capitalism) doesn't mean also rejecting other possible forms of X (e.g., capitalism) which may or may not come to exist. It doesn't seem possible to reject anything by your standard. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Monthly Review: <http://monthlyreview.org/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>