[lbo-talk] Gulag Construction Continues despite quibbling about terminology

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 19 18:00:18 PDT 2005

On Sunday, June 19, 2005 5:25 PM [PDT], Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:

OFFLIST:

> GULAG V. GITMO
> Equivalency Test
> by David Bosco

> David ( it's just a PR disaster, not a gulag )Bosco is a senior editor at Foreign Policy.

> In a recent report, Amnesty International referred to the U.S.
> detention center at Guantnamo as "the gulag of our time." The term--a
> Russian abbreviation for Glavnoe Upravlenie Lagerei, or Main Camp
> Administration--refers to the network of Soviet labor camps
> established during Stalin's rule that continued, in a different form,
> for much of the Soviet Union's history. During a press conference on
> Tuesday, President Bush rejected the charge as "absurd." Amnesty has
> defended its use of the term. Below, a comparison of the two prison
> systems, with the aid of Anne Applebaum's Pulitzer Prize-winning book,
> Gulag: A History.

Don't worry... as the fear of "terrorism" grows, and the government's ability to control the citizens in a tidier way crumbles we'll get there.

How long did it take to build those 476 separate "camp complexes"?

We're just getting a good head of steam... and when we back the troops off from Iraq, and redistribute them around the region, or perhaps attack Iran and/or Syria there'll be terrorists under ALL of our beds...

Riding ALL of our buses... In ALL of our elevators...

All the time.

Anyone that doesn't think so will be considered to be 5th column or fellow travellers with the terrorists (after all, they aren't afraid. Must be on first name with UBL), and be immediately rounded up.

Get the pitchur?

Give the ol' USA a chance woudja!

Police states aren't built in a day, or week.

It takes years of terror.

Leigh http://www.leighm.net

-- Zero Surprises: No virus found in this outgoing message // lcm Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.7.8/22 - Release Date: 6/17/2005