[lbo-talk] Death Watch

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 20 11:58:45 PDT 2005

Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, conservative as he may be, apparently loves the court more than conservatism, so he failed to retire during the first George W. Bush administration, despite his advanced age (now 80) and ill health.

"The odds are certainly in favor of a resignation, but I also know how much he loves the court," Mr. [Ralph G.] Neas [the president of People for the American Way] said in an interview, before showing off his organization's waiting war room. "If the doctors give him a green light to work for another term, I think he'd do it in a minute." (Elizabeth Bumiller, "War Rooms (and Chests) Ready for a Supreme Court Vacancy," New York Times, <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/20/politics/20letter.html>, 20 Jun. 2005).

I suspect that at the top of conservative prayers these days is swift progress of Justice Rehnquist's thyroid cancer, leading to his rapid decline or death. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Monthly Review: <http://monthlyreview.org/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>