[lbo-talk] Gulag thing - Chris is on to something (if by accident)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 15:35:07 PDT 2005

BTW, with respect to a previous post, what do you think "Russian nationalism" means nowadays? I like to distinguish between "russkii natsionalizm" and "rosiisskii nationalizm" (for non-Russophones, the Russian language differentiates between ethnic Russians -- russkii -- and peoples of Russia -- rosiisskii -- since Russia actually contains over 150 different peoples and languages, of which ethnic Russians are only 80%, the rest being Tatars, Chuvash, Ossetes, Avars, Chechens, Ingush, Chukchi, Cossacks, Yakuts etc). Clearly ethnicity or something like Orthodoxy can't count (once again for non-Russophones, the indigenous Russian religions are Orthodoxy, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism and various forms of shamanism practiced by Siberian peoples).