[lbo-talk] Verso's surplus value extraction

yellek oudeis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 14:04:17 PST 2005

A good publisher will edit material, package it attractively, and promote it with enthusiasm and skill. Not all publishers are good, of course, but self-publishing on the web is no walk in the woods either.

The ex-exploiter self-published but wasn't interested in spending any money on marketing. To his mind, like a lot of first-time authors, the beauty of it was that you could pocket all that for yourself.

So, he'd do a poor job of proofreading --wifey did it. I'd get the material for a substantive edit -- making suggestions. Even so, by the time I got it for layout work, it was still full of shoddy workmanship -- and I just didn't have time to fix it all. This was always "extra" work, over and above my already 60 hr week. He didn't want anything special, didn't care about publication design -- and had crappy taste anyway. To him, it was all about McDonald's publishing. Make.money.fast.on.internet!

Then, he'd want me to market it too. His marketing effort would begin a couple of months before the books shipped from the printer to his house. The first time he did it to me, I went off, did all the research, figured out how books are marketed and distributed. Of course, I promptly discovered that books usually have to be marketed 18 months in advance if you want to get a general audience pub on the racks in places like Walmart. I explained that we were a little behind and that the booksellers would going to laugh me out the door. And they did. :).