[lbo-talk] Terri Schiavo and Disability Rights

knowknot at mindspring.com knowknot at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 26 07:55:39 PST 2005

On 3/25/05, you wrote to the LBO List:

> My understanding(not much) is Bills of Attainder

> are *punitive* laws that apply to one specific

> person . . . . but I haven't followed the constitutional

> ins and outs of it . . . .

Those interested in the "constitutional ins and outs" might want to read the brief submitted by Michael Schiavo's attorneys and the ACLU in opposition to the Schindlers' lawsuit, which (especially at pp. 34-46) summarizes their arguments why Pub. Law. 109-3 (the statute "For the relief of the parents of Theresa Marie Schiavo" passed last week under color of which the federal litigation has been conducted) is unconstitutional.

Among the on line sources for this purpose is:

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/lit/schiavo/index.html