[lbo-talk] Re: worker freedom of choice

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Mar 27 07:55:10 PST 2005

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> [clip]
> I have mellowed my righteous anger directed at those who make consumption choices that are
> extremely harmful when equally priced alternatives exist

Leaving aside organized boycotts, strikes, etc., how can a consumption choice be harmful? Why in the world should I or anyone waste my time deciding whether Corporation A or Corporation B is the least evil? I really don't understand why private consumption choices should be a topic of conversation at all.

> but it seems Tully is asking about
> something a little different.

I don't understand his/her use of the term "surplus." How in the world can one determine what is surplus and what is not in one's personal life. "Surplus" is intelligible only as referring to capital, not to wages (be they high or low). We can argue about the proportion of a leftist's income which should go to left organizations, etc. but I at least have no interest in any discussion of what I should or shouldn't buy with my disposable income (and I suspect that is what Tully means by "surplus").

Tully also speaks of "liberals and conservatives" as though that were a significant division.

Carrol