[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 4 14:16:09 PDT 2005

> Leigh writes:
>
> Porn is a commodity, and always has
> been . . . as such it can never be "alt".

> Huh? Plenty of porn is alt.
>
> Brian Dauth

> Leigh writes:
>
> > The people in the industry are truly
> victims in denial . . .

> You sound like Benedict XVI and all
> the other popes. Just substititue
> queers: "Queers are victims in denial
> of . . ."
>
> There is no denial -- just an expression
> of sexuality.
>
> Why are you so hostile to sexual
> expression? How do we train and teach
> others about the proper way to engage
> in various kinks (from mild to wild)
> without porn and workshops?
>
> We don't need judgement; we need
> liberty.
>
> Brian Dauth
> Queer Buddhist Resister

Calling or not calling any form of porn "alt" or not is pretty subjective. I don't think any form of porn is alt. It's just another commodity in my opion also. If you think of it as alt then your definition of the term is different than mine.

Worrying that people in the porn industry are victims is not exactly the same as expressing "hostility to sexual preference". While I disagree with Leigh that all people in the industry are victims, the industry is heavy with people who could be characterized as such and imagining that all or even most of the workers are there solely as a form of their individual sexual expression seems naïve.

John Thornton