[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed May 4 16:16:38 PDT 2005

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> Worrying that people in the porn industry are victims is not exactly the same
> as expressing "hostility to sexual preference". While I disagree with Leigh that
> all people in the industry are victims, the industry is heavy with people who
> could be characterized as such and imagining that all or even most of the
> workers are there solely as a form of their individual sexual expression seems
> naïve.

It's really curious that left wing prudes mask their ignorance about people who make porn by rehashing the tired arguments of the right wing. Isn't it odd that it's acceptable to talk about sex workers as "victims" whereas other kinds of workers are not labeled "victims." Are autoworkers victims? Unionized food industry workers?

The big myth about the sex industry is that most of its workers are "victims" or are unwilling workers. Of course, like any other type of wage job, there are plenty of people who don't like doing it. This is what we call exploitation by capitalism. At the same time, much of porn these days is produced by people who enjoy doing it, ranging from people who would do it without getting paid, to those folks who see the work as better than "acceptable" work.

Chuck0