[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed May 4 16:51:40 PDT 2005

Chuck0 wrote:

> It's really curious that left wing prudes mask their ignorance about
> people who make porn by rehashing the tired arguments of the right
> wing. Isn't it odd that it's acceptable to talk about sex workers as
> "victims" whereas other kinds of workers are not labeled "victims."
> Are autoworkers victims? Unionized food industry workers?

Yes, they are. Now are sex workers victims? It's a rarefied argument when we talk about the $700/eve escorts. But how about the twelve year old girls? or the nineteen year olds and the $20 blow jobs?

> The big myth about the sex industry is that most of its workers are
> "victims" or are unwilling workers. Of course, like any other type of
> wage job, there are plenty of people who don't like doing it. This is
> what we call exploitation by capitalism. At the same time, much of
> porn these days is produced by people who enjoy doing it, ranging from
> people who would do it without getting paid, to those folks who see
> the work as better than "acceptable" work.

There are lots of non-porn exploited workers who also claim to enjoy their jobs. There may have been guards at Dachau who enjoyed their jobs.

It would be good if we could discuss these issues without you flinging your "gay hating/prude" accusations.

Joanna