[lbo-talk] Stop Labeling and Start Organizing!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 6 17:45:07 PDT 2005

Carl Remick wrote:

> Fine, I will no longer describe people of sincere religious faith as
> political extremists. Instead I will refer to them with greater clinical
> precision as psychotics. You feel more comfortable now?

This is the sort of thing it is easy to say if you are merely sitting on the sidelines and giving a critique of the show. It doesn't help if you are interested in actually participating in changing the world. Chip is rather more helpful on that.

The flippant use of terms like irrational, psychotic, etc. is essentially the same position that Marx sneers at in the Third Thesis on Feurbach.

A person need not be irrational to arrive at irrational conclusions! Ideas, like genes, never exist in the abstract but are only actualized within concrete conditions.

Carrol