[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. AntiwarMovementfor UnitedDemonstrations in the Fall

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue May 10 18:37:59 PDT 2005

Steven Gotzler exclaims:

> Holy Shit.
>
> Lets bring back the Weathermen. They were so effective. Lets blow
> up a couple of things. That will show our power and force the
> government and people to recognize our superior position.
>
> It didn't work well last time either. It won't work well now. New
> ideas?
>
> Steve

How about a "Festival of Life"? (as YIP called the '68 DNC, R.I.P. Abbie...)

Yale professor David Graeber on anarchism's "new language" of protest.

>From NYC IndyMedia:

http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display_any/15173

RECLAIMING THE WORLD By David Graeber (No verified email address) 31 Jan 2002 Modified: 03 Feb 2002

<...>

New Forms of Organization

Where once it seemed that the only alternatives to marching along with signs were either Gandhian nonviolent civil disobedience or outright insurrection, groups like the Direct Action Network, Reclaim the Streets, Black Blocs or Ya Basta! have all, in their own ways, been trying to map out a completely new territory in between. They?re attempting to invent what many call a ?new language? of protest, combining elements of what might otherwise be considered street theater, festival and what can only be called nonviolent warfare. These new tactics are perfectly in accord with the general anarchistic inspiration of the movement, which is less about seizing state power than about exposing, delegitimizing and dismantling mechanisms of rule while winning ever-larger spaces of autonomy from it.

<...>

Links to other NYC IndyMedia articles by David Graeber:

http://nyc.indymedia.org/feature/display/149815/index.php

Leigh www.leighm.net