[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri May 13 14:17:40 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: Michael Pugliese To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 12:42 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

> Re: Mario Savio. Was blacklisted till the 80's. My red-diaper
> friends, the Kirks, Ethel who taught elementary school in S.F. and
> lived in Pacifica, Ca. said that Savio finally got a job teaching math
> in Sonoma County, I think, if memory serves before he died.

What's wrong with teaching math in Sonoma? The use of "...finally got a job..." makes it sound beneath his dignity or somesuch subjective judgement about what he "should have" been doing with his life... My mother still runs that trip on me and I still ignore it.

You might note that Sonoma is much prettier than Berkeley and the local State U is responsible for little thing called "Project Censored". Maybe Mario rubbed off a little on the area, it's people... and more importantly, the kids.

IMHO That is the most important thing... make a difference wherever you are, and NO WHINING!

Here's the Democracy Now! video piece from a couple of years ago for a more rounded perspective:

Keep in mind that the "cutting edge" is AKA the "bleeding edge". No one is there all the time unless they are self-destructive.

>> ...Right now, US society is marginal in relation to the rest
>> of the world's material needs...
> Rough idea on the % of commodities sold worldwide, produced in the
> U.S.A.? Rough idea, mind you....One right-winger who mostly lurks on
> Democratic Underground said recently in reply to the, "U.S. pop. is %%
> of the world's pop. but, consumes many times that of nrg and other
> goods, " line, "Yeh, but, we produce half of what the rest of the
> world consumes..."(Paraphrase.)

No we don't... although if you consider "owning" the same thing as "producing" maybe so... But most of that "ownership" is ill gotten gains, and even though those chickens seem to be coming home to roost now, even "marxists" don't seem to get it.

Because it's not about politics... it's about possesions, and consuming ...everyone wants more "stuff" right? Or else there wouldn't BE a "left" business list.

I've seen a flyer entitled "what if the world was only 10 people..." The US would have it all unless you worked it out to the nth decimal place.

What American would want to step outside, or think outside a box that implies "It works for Me!"

Leigh