[lbo-talk] Re: Power to the peasants?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed May 18 14:38:12 PDT 2005

Justin:
> russia . . . . what makes you think that peasants have
> a monopoly on stupid, brutal, violence?

I did not claim they have the monopoly nor that such violence was somehow endemic to them as people. It is the conditions of their life that were more likely to trigger stupid brutal violence than those of the more urbane folk. But those urbane folk can be transformed to brutal monsters virtually overnight if the conditions are right, and the Stanford Prison Experiment aptly demonstrated.

However, the fact that penchant for stupid brutal violence is socially constructed, so to speak, should not be construed that it can be deconstructed or unlearned at will. Humans are not a tabula rasa - the development of their brains, especially in the early childhood and early adolescence, is profoundly shaped by their life experiences. So once they become socialized into stupid brutal violence, undoing that process may be rather difficult.

This is yet another reason why both living conditions and cultural and psychological adaptations to those conditions that form the so-called lumpen-proletariat should be eradicated like a disease.

PS. I wonder whether the image of "cultured" German officers presiding over stupid brutal slaughter in EE is a myth. The message from the film _The Pianist_ , which is based on a true life story of Wladyslaw Szpilman is that the mindless violence was committed by rednecks, while a "cultured" officer actually saved Szpilman's life. A similar story surrounds the life and death of one of the best, imho Polish writers Bruno Schulz, who was murdered by a Nazi redneck as an act of revenge against another more "cultured" Nazi who protected Schulz because he liked his art http://www.brunoschulz.org/xiega.html. Not to mention, of course, my grandma war story of being 'saved' by a group of Wehrmacht officers who took exception to lower ranking SS-men brutalizing a bunch of innocent civilians for no apparent reason.

I am not trying to exonerate the Nazis - I am sure that there were some psychopaths among the "cultured" ones, but I find it hard to believe that most of them were "Hitler's willing executioners." It is one thing to "go with the flow" or "follow orders" but it is a very different thing to undo years of socialization into "high culture" that fundamentally renounces physical violence. Violence is a part of a peasant's everyday life - it is not that big of a jump from slaughtering a pig or a cow to slaughtering a person - but it is a different story for someone who did not kill a mouse in his previous life. Or so I imagine - but then I strongly abhor all acts of violence.

Wojtek