[lbo-talk] Kansas, the red state (wasThe STFU left)

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 23 21:08:03 PDT 2005

> > Chuck0 wrote:
> >
> >> Most Americans hate Bush and the neocons.

> So Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > No, a lot do, not most. A lot of people like them too. You keep saying
> > you don't see signs of pro-Bush feelings in Kansas, but he carried the
> > state by a huge margin, no? And isn't KC a semi-blue enclave in Kansas?

> and then Chuck0 wrote:
>
> Bush's popularity rating has dropped to 45%, so it's safe to say that
> many Americans do not like Bush. More importantly, I think even more
> Americans are disturbed by the right wing agenda. Of course, there are
> also many Americans who support the right wing, which means that we
> shouldn't be sitting on our hands right now.
>
> Kansas City is a "purple" enclave within the so-called red states. Keep
> in mind that Oklahoma and Nebraska are much redder than Kansas and Missouri.
>
> Chuck0

"Most hate" and "most do not like" are not the same thing. Last time I checked the number of people who "love" Bush and the number of people who "hate" Bush was about equal. Most Americans appear not to give a damn. They don't like him but they don't hate him.

By the way Doug. Kansas City is in Missouri not Kansas. There is a KC in Kansas but it is much smaller. When people say Kansas City they mean the one in MO unless they specify otherwise. The suburbs have spread to the Kansas side to escape the higher MO county property taxes so most people who work in KC probably now live in KS however. It's a very fucked up place.

Chuck is correct that MO is much less red than Oklahoma or Nebraska. Kansas City and especially St. Louis were for many years blue collar union towns. The auto industry was once a big part of St. Louis' character. Somewhat less so in KC. My Republican parents bitched and moaned the three years we lived in St. Louis that if you weren't a pro- union Dem you couldn't do anything in St. Louis. Since my father had (has) a pathological hatred for the Teamsters, for personal reasons, he wasn't too happy there.

Aren't Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Utah the only states where Kerry didn't even win a county? Although in KS only one county, where the university in Lawrence is located voted Kerry. Bush got the rest of the state IIRC. I'm sure it's still easily googled.

John Thornton