[lbo-talk] Shuttle. Click

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 18 10:13:45 PST 2005

Rotating Bitch wrote:

> Is there some ideal, Platonic Bitch out there? What is Bitch other than a
> performance? I don't mean that there is some real me underneath it all­that
> I'm like an actor.

Why call it a performance, then? I don't have a history, I _am_ my history. As far as I can see, there is an element of bad faith in this juggling of vocabulary ("performance" rather than "practice" or "social relations" or "history"). Probably not bad faith but self-deception. It's a way of maintaining what is in practice a radical individualist theory while sneaking social relations in the back door under the weasel-term "performance."

Carrol