[lbo-talk] We do not need an exit strategy. We need an exit.

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Nov 20 14:10:03 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org>

Nathan Newman wrote:
> What is "self-determination"?

-Having power over one's life, something that liberals will never trust -to the people.

But remove US troops and individual Iraqis won't have control over their own lives. They'll just be stuck in the cross-hairs between suicde bombers, Shiite clerics and others using guns to deny them freedom-- with lots of outside interests manipulating the situation for their own purposes.

I'm for pulling US troops out, but I don't delude myself that by itself, that will deliver any real individual freedom for most Iraqis.

> Letting Saudi-funded Al Qaeda fighters and Iranian-funded Shiites fight it
> out?

-Are you mouthing Rush Limbaugh talking points now? Is this the nadir to -which liberals have sunk, that they can't find a spine to stand up for -what's right?

Um-- Michael Moore is probably the strongest proponent of the Saudi funding of Al Qaeda. As for Iran funding Shiite parties in Iraq, that's just a fact, not a talking point by anyone.

> "Self determination" is one of the lamest slogans of the isolationist
> left.
> It pretends that any country these days isn't penetrated by a mass of
> outside forces-- military, political and economic -- and there is no such
> thing.

-Get the U.S. out of the fucking Middle East. Get the government, -military and coropration out!

Ah-- get the corporations out. Now that might be interesting, but the GOP fake proposal didn't call for that, so it by your own definition had nothing to do with self-determination.

-- Nathan