[lbo-talk] Re: GEORGE GALLOWAY PANDERS TO THE HOMOPHOBES

Michael Hirsch mmh655 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 16:20:31 PST 2005

More to the point, Doug Ireland's response is unhelpful. Every coalition I've ever been in has had elements that could barely stomach each other. In Boston, Berrigan Catholics couldn't sit in the same room with pro-choice feminists back in the day, and the anti-busing movement contained working class elements I dearly wanted to relate to but couldn't. I had to pick a side, and I did--I rode on the buses protecting the school kids, and nothing short of busing was going to break up the old racist Boston school committee --but I always felt it was a lose/lose situation. Ireland writes as though the fight against homophobia is one dimensional, and not a tactical minefield in the context of waging war against imperialism in the Middle East. What would I do as a Brit? I haven't a clue. I'd like to think there'd be the space to be a defender of gay rights among Muslims and Muslim rights among gays and workers power among both, but there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip. Politics is not science, despite our pretensions. The only thing I know for sure is that the kind of certitude Doug Ireland exhibits in his reply to" Lenin" doesn't help. And Lenin, is the SWP really, really the only road to a new Jerusalem? I liked Cliff plenty in my time (Chris Harmen, too) but don't kid a kidder.

Mike Hirsch