[lbo-talk] Wow!

knowknot at mindspring.com knowknot at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 3 11:58:22 PDT 2005

On 10/1/05, Doug Henwood said:

knowknot at mindspring.com wrote:

> > [see prior posting if interested]

> Wow indeed. What's your fucking point?

>That Bennett's remark was some exercise

> in Swiftian irony?

I think you know; but since you ask anyway: That whether Bennett's remarks were racist can be legitimately evaluated (and, though I deliberately refrained from doing so, I certainly would argue that a case can be made that they, or at least their underlying assumptions, were racist); but that what appeared to be all the other comments about him in the present and related thread seriously, and dishonestly, (mis)represented what he actually said. Arguably particularly troubling in that respect, especially on a List many of whose participants are presumably savvy about the use of statistics, was the lack of any engagement with (much less enlightenment about) his ignorance and also misuse of the source he purportedly was discussing.