[lbo-talk] the 50-word story

Michael Hirsch mmh655 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 12:53:16 PDT 2005

Nobody is "condoning the contempt and disgust of teachers." But Joanna (and now Andie, it seems) is shifting the focus away from the real frustrations teachers have with blase students to alleging bilious attitudes on the part of faculty. The answer to Soviet Era incompetence was not, as the old joke went, "look at the racism in the United States." There are burnt-out profs who've given up on teaching and there are students wasting their own time in college. Both statements are true. Both need to be remedied.This isn't a contest over whose class wounds are deeper.

Mike Hirsch