[lbo-talk] horse's mouth

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 08:28:33 PDT 2005

It's always interesting to me to compare the actual text of the conference to what finally makes its way into print -- what is left out, in particular, and how quotes get contextually "framed." Boy, those giant Putin press conferences that last for two hours usually compressed into a paragraph.

> Yeah, and you'd think a retired English professor
> with Marxist
> politics might be interested in the relations of
> discourse and power
> - how the powerful present themselves, directly or
> through their
> spokespersons, and how the media interpret what they
> hear. But when
> your eyes are on bigger forces, I guess press
> conferences are just
> distracting trivia.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!