[lbo-talk] contemporary forms of auto-cranialrectotomy

oudeis oudeis at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 20:21:07 PDT 2005

Aww, come on Cat. I was having fun reading the discussion and being invisible, like being a spider in a web in the corner of the buoys' locker room. Now they're all going to shove their hands in the pockets -- or roll their eyes heavenward -- and start whistlin'. Damn damn damn!

I just read this whole thread, and I'm kind of appalled.

It's nice to know the guys can still get together and debate how women should respond to dominant and changing discourses on sex, gender and femininity. Thanks for that, boys, I was naturally at a loss to know where I should be going.

So I read the snippet from the review first, and thought perhaps I should buy this book, but then subsequent elaborations have suggested that it's another highly selective over-reaching patronising polemic on 'girls today' and frankly I've read more than enough of those.

I shouldn't wear makeup, apparently, or perfume. It's un-feminist - thanks for that, cause god knows a real feminist takes her guidelines from a group of men debating what women should do - and doesn't taste good. Somehow those imperatives are compatible, I know, but I'm still working it out myself.

"Aggressive sex" is also bad, apparently, though I've no fucking idea what that means. Sorry, perhaps I shouldn't swear either. Swearing probably goes with non-passive sex as a boys' thing.

Perhaps you should all agree on a set of rules. I teach a lot of gender studies students, I'm sure they'll be just thrilled to learn from it.

Catherine