[lbo-talk] Contemporary forms of female self-objectification

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sun Sep 18 20:55:53 PDT 2005

Dear B,

> However, teaching a class on something is not
> necessarily proof that one is an authority in a
> meaningful way on a particular subject: If I could
> list all the right-wing teachers I've had, on every
> subject from History to even English (I'll never
> forget the time my 1301 Intro to English class was
> opened with an example of an argumentative essay that
> was about howcommunism is flawed -- or when a teacher
> told me CNN stands for "Communist News Network"), I
> could fill volumes.

That's not what I said. I said my students would be thrilled to read the group's rules for girls' behaviour, and so they would. Even highly amused. Possibly appalled, but certainly amused.

I am no authority on correct gender behaviour, but I am quite sure that I don't need to hear from you that girls should not wear lipstick, show their breasts, fuck around, or any of the other "improper" things on the list.

The thing is, there are complicated and multiple reasons why girls might behave in ways this author disparages, and none of them are adequately engaged by what's been said here. And, sarcasm aside, the general tone *was* appalling.

Catherine

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.