[lbo-talk] Indian food [was: Hey Mr. bitter expat

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 22 08:59:06 PDT 2005

Ravi:
> yeah, so what? so is every other population i have seen. the flip side
> of the delusions of grandeur is that the british (in some sense which i
> have to define shortly) not only know that an outside world exists, but
> that it is significant. its probably a poor example to illustrate my
> point but i will toss it out anyway: some of the best indian food is to
> be had in london (and vicinity). otoh, chinese food in the US tastes
> nothing at all like food in china.

Yep. If it were not for Indian and Italian restaurants, there would not be much to eat in London.

As far as Chinese food is concerned - it is extremely adaptable to the local tastes, even within the US. Within the walking distance where I live, you can find a ghetto take out outlet that sells stuff that may not be as bad but is "tailored" to Southern tastes i.e. bland, and another joint that sell a much spiced up and "authentic" fare. However, none of this resembles what I remember eating while living in Shanghai - albeit some of the US-Chinese food reminds me of what was "poor people's food" in China. But that is true of most other ethnic cuisine that I know - Mexican, Italian, Eastern European. I wonder if the same is true of India.

Wojtek