[lbo-talk] the political wing of the organized working class

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Apr 20 08:00:25 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> [So the Reps had actual grassroots volunteers and the unions and the
> party of the people had paid operatives...]

> The AFL-CIO has identified Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania
> as the four most important states in 2004 based on union density, key
> 2006 contests, and their importance in 2008.
>
> The AFL-CIO believes there are 21 gubernatorial races, 15 Senate races,
> and 42 House seats (in 22 states) in play.
>
> The AFL-CIO has broken down the House contests into: 28 "top tier
> vulnerable Republicans" who represent a district with "high" union
> density (average=28,000), 16 seats with "very high" union density
> (average=43,000), and 8 "top-tier" open seats (where union density is on
> average 28,000).

Yet more signs that the AFL-CIO is the enemy of working men and women. All of this demonstrates that the AFL-CIO is a mere auxilliary of the Democratic Party, which most people see as a pathetic political organization. The AFL-CIO might actually accomplish something if it chucked the Democrats and pursued an independent path. It won't do that, so we should just blame the union as being part of the problem in Washington. George Bush, the Democrats, Halliburton and the AFL-CIO. Not much difference between the members of this group of ruling elites.

On another note, you gotta wonder why the AFL-CIO is so myopic about targeting certain districts instead of doing broad-based organizing the the "red states."

Chuck0