[lbo-talk] LaRouche: world monetary system collapse by Sept '06

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Apr 25 09:15:44 PDT 2006

Blackmail wrote:

>I'm anxious to read Christian Parenti's next book already. Anyone on >here
have insight as to when that might be published?

What book? He's not doing anything on Afg immediately, though he'd like to someday. He's doing a series of articles for The Nation this year - Colombia, climate change in the Arctic, others TBA.

Doug

^^^^^^

In the book below, as I recall, _Michael_ Parenti (Christian's father) discusses the U.S. backed , terrorist Contras in Afghanistan ( including Osama Bin Laden) .

Charles

Michael Parenti Political Archive

The Sword and The Dollar

Imperialism, Revolution and the Arms Race

________________________________

The Sword and The Dollar cover <http://www.michaelparenti.org/Images/SwordAndDollar.gif> 0-31202-295-6 (cloth) 0-31201-167-9 (paper) St. Martin's Press, 1989

To many, the foreign policy directives of the United States seem bewildering and sometimes inharmonious with its domestic political values. Why does the U.S. seem to support foreign dictators? Why has it invested so many of its resources in stockpiling nuclear arms? Why doesn't the U.S. act as a force for peace throughout the world? In this probing, provocative analysis, Michael Parenti reveals the hidden agenda of American foreign policy decsisions. No matter which party is in power, the U.S. acts to protect the interests of large American-based corporations, in order to maintain valuable overseas markets and cheap foreign labor.

In lucid detail, Michael Parenti examines just how these very private interests determine America's public policy goals, from the impoverishment of developing nations to the building of an intimidating nuclear arsenal. What he discovers will surely be controversial and suggests that the greatest threats to democracy--both here and abroad--may emanate from within the United States itself.

Contents

1. A Policy neither Fainthearted nor Foolish

2. Imperialism and the Myth of Underdevelopment

3. Maldevelopment and a "Sharp Philanthropy"

4. The Mean Methods of Imperialism (I)

5. The Mean Methods of Imperialism (II)

6. A Condominium Empire: Neo-Imperialism

7. The Empire Strikes Back Home

8. The Mythology of Interventionism

9. The Real Threat of Revolution

10. The Costs of Counterrevolution

11. Other Variables -- or Must We Ignore Imperialism?

12. The Cold War Is an Old War

13. The Arms Chase

14. "Rational" Nuclearism

15. Can We Trust the Russians?