CORRECTION: was Re: [lbo-talk] LaRouche: world monetary systemcollapse by Sept '06

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Apr 28 09:32:27 PDT 2006

Chris Doss wrote:

> Did
> > you know hundreds of people were killed in ethnic
> > pogroms in Uzbekistan in the early 1990s? Lord.

> My mistake -- in the 1991 pogroms in Uzbekistan, 102
> people were killed, mostly Meshketian Turks killed by
> Uzbeks. Over 400 homes were burned to the ground. It
> was in the Fergana Valley.

I didn't know about the either pogrom, but I checked with Ahmed Rashid's book Taliban. He writes about unprecedented(for Afghanistan)massacres on a large scale in which thousands were killed. "Masud's massacre of the Hazaras in Kabul in 1995, the Hazaras massacre of the Taliban in Mazar in 1997 and the Taliban massacres of Hazaras and Uzbeks in 1998 has no precedent in Afghan history and perhaps irreparably damaged the fabric of the country's national and religious soul."

Ulhas