[lbo-talk] Re: Losing Iris Young

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Thu Aug 3 09:46:24 PDT 2006

(Hear hear. I recall a visit to Joburg around five years ago where she expressed disagreement in a seminar with two dozen comrades from Jubilee South Africa, over the nature of reparations demands. Even where she retained a tactical and discursive difference, her deep respect for the opposing position left everyone mightily impressed. Where Iris thought the SA Constitution was a good example of debates leading to consensus and we thought it was part of the overall elite transition decoration, she listened, argued hard, and probably changed her position a bit, as did we. Where she thought that reform of the UN was a feasible and useful objective - again, contrary to the buzz in Joburg and Durban where anti-UN demos attracted tens of thousands in 2001-02 - her insistence on closure of the World Bank and IMF left us all in good spirits during debate. So it is rare that one has memories of someone great who has passed, that include minor comradely clashes, where such memories are the building blocks of dignity. In this case, Iris' stellar reasoning and commitment exemplify how to move from safe zones of agreement to ultimately more fruitful sites of collegial friction. I hope many of us can learn that skill - the best of the cosmopolitan-democracy tradition - given the extent of 'difference' in our lives, a matter so crucial to her own work.)

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: pbond.vcf Type: text/x-vcard Size: 185 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20060803/a0fde616/attachment.vcf>