[lbo-talk] Time to Get Religion

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Sun Dec 3 15:22:09 PST 2006

There is a long anti-authoritarian christian tradition. The most notable examples that I can think of are the millenarian groups of the English Civil War (see Hill's The World Turned Upside Down), the radical elements of the German Peasant Wars (Bloch has an untranslated work on Munzer, but there are also pieces by Kautsky, Bax, and Engels) These all tie into various eschatelogical forms of mysticism. There is a book by Vaneigem on this called The Movement of the Free Spirit. There is also the work of Ernst Bloch, particularly Atheism in Christianity and The Principle of Hope. This element of christianity can still be found in the anti-authoritarian elements of the pacifist community.

I think that we might want to approach this question of theology in a similar manner to Feuerbach. Although I am far from enamoured with his reified conceopt of 'man', I think his understanding of religion as the alienated desires and self understanding of society has some value. That is to say, we can look at religion as a reflecting back on the social, both as how our society works and a critique of it. This transcendent element always makes it a mystified understanding to an extent (I am talking about conventional forms of monotheism here... I hold out the possibility of an immanent religion. Bloch shows the potential for this to exist in a christian context through the figure of Bloch and the Diggers conception of God is similarly radical, particularly in Winstanley). The traditional critiques of anarchism and marxism have more to do with their common republican tradition than either would like to admit. There isn't much more to them than what is already contained in the work of voltaire, and generally they already have been surpassed by Spinoza. I wouldn't say this about Marx though, whose sophistication is more in the lines of Spinoza's thinking.

As a last tangent, I think that Chomsky's writing is far more influenced by a particulary U.S. based empiricism rather than anarchism, and it is this 'Americanness' rather than the anarchism that gives him his popularity. This ties into particular anti-intellectual traditions in US thought that goes back as far as the work of Tocquesville. In that, I tend to read Chomsky's popularity more symptomatically than not. This is not to say I don't have a profound admiration for both his commitment and work ethic, just that I think that it shows a limit to the modes of activist practice in the states (read Henwood et al for a longer critique of this.)

robert wood