[lbo-talk] Nurses Locked Out In Vegas

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 13:38:37 PST 2006

As our local is in a right to work state, we have a tougher battles to fight with less resources and power than blue-state unions. So the international has been insitutionally supporting us for the past few years with a great deal of funds, resources, staff and other assistance. There's no question vegas nurses wouldn't be where they are in this battle if they weren't part of a larger organiztion of two million that has a very ruthlessly executed strategy for industrial power and organizing, which both assists locals in punching above their weight, and holds locals accountable to punching with a plan. I point this out because among independent left commentators on labor, there is usually a troskyite notion of the international as an evil outside entity which exists to sell out and discipline locals. Although we have had plenty of disagreements or battles with the international over specifics, the executive body in DC has been central to the progress we (and probably every other) local has made.

Having said that, let me insert my opinion that andy stern is a douche. A douche with a great track record of administering a mass organizing program, but, I personally wish the international's media department would stop emphasizing his personality (which is not one of the shining examples of seiu charisma) and labor snuggle instead of labor struggle. Tactical and strategic splitting of the enemy and consolidating productive employer relationships where possible is essential, but at the end of the day, seiu needs a national figure with a bit more grit. If you look at the rest of the executive board, its all composed of individuals with more compelling backgrounds and characters who project the fierce realities better. Andy is more like our thomas friedman, existing to whisper sweet nothings in the ears of the mainstream media and the middle-class and management class. He also has a very, very strange interest in china's unions.