[lbo-talk] world improved when you want to lick a computer

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 11 09:19:25 PST 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:07 PM, bitch wrote:

> Because like it or not, Apple has actually managed something quite
> radical for a tech company: They have not merely changed the world,
> they have actually improved it. Oh yes they have.
>
> I ain't talkin' global warming. I don't mean they've solved world
> hunger or cured cancer or ended racism or muzzled Ashlee Simpson.
> But I do mean something that, in its way, is nearly as profound:
> They've managed to make the world just a bit more pleasurable,
> tasteful, beautiful. They've added a dash of that rarest of human
> qualities, especially when talking about factory-made tech crap:
> They have added a touch of grace.

Ha. Reading this on my sleek white iMac with my sleek black iPod on the desk next to me, I couldn't agree more! And the look of OS X is pure sleekness too, as are the iPod screens. The contrast is sharpened by the clunky-looking HP printer and hideously boxy external LaCie drive sitting on either side of the iMac. But why is it so hard? Why can't other computer & gadget makers match Apple's mastery of the commodity fetish? Why does it mostly look like crap?

Doug