[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 23 11:32:34 PST 2006

--- Brian Charles Dauth <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> > The Cuban government has committed human rights
> abuses, but has it
> committed, for instance, a massacre of homosexuals
>
> When a government through intentional practices
> murders queers, drives
> others to suicide, and causes yet others to die from
> the consequences of
> their savage incarceration, that is a massacre.

I just don't see the evidence that the Cuban gov't murdered queers. I agree that Cuban anti-gay policies are human right violations, but I think there are degrees of these. Death camps are one extreme. Criminalization or sanctioning harassment for harmless activities are abother. Cuba seems to me to be from the evidence I have, to be in between. That is very bad, but it doesn't make them sysyematic state mass murderers.

> > It looks to me that Western leftists have trouble
> grasping facts of human
> rights violations in poor countries, especially when
> it comes to countries
> that are
> on the USG's bad list.
>
> Either a government respects the rights of
> sexual/bodily self-expression and
> control
> or it doesn't. Do the rules governing one man
> sucking another man's cock
> change
> according to a nation's GNP?

Yes and no. It depends on what the poor nation does with respect to rest of the population, or with resprect to that population, its sexual orientation aside. Abuse of gays is intolerable bo matter what, but if the country in question does good in other respects, that counts in its favor in those respects. As you yourself said.

I ask you the same question I asked Chuck: do you want the Miami Cubans back in power and Cuba as whole flushed the way the Nicaragurans were?