[lbo-talk] OK, Nathan

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Fri Feb 3 11:07:55 PST 2006

>>> sokol at jhu.edu 02/03/06 12:14 PM >>>
Michael Hoover:
> 1) comment re. 'armed mob' and 'draconian responses'
> *nicely* summarizes your politics...

So if you deem my "politics" - of which you know nothing since you admittedly do not read my postings - unacceptable, does that mean that everything I say should be automatically dismissed? Or what? Besides, what do you think my politics are to deserve an honorable mention. And once it has been decided what my politics are, do I have any say on the subject? Once we mentioned "my politics" - the more time I spend on this list the more I think that despite all its faults the Democratic party is by far the best and most sensible progressive alternative for this country. There is simply no other alternative that can be taken seriously. Wojtek <<<<<>>>>>

i keep telling myself i really know better than to do this...

1) i said that i *rarely* read your posts, had you accurately read what i wrote you would not have said what you said i wrote about what you wrote, yada, yada, yada...

2) my comment that you note above was in response to this remark that you posted: I would imagine that an armed mob (thanks to the cherished 2nd amenedment) called for more draconian responses.

maybe i should have written something more direct in response, to wit: attitude expressed about 'armed mob' [calling for] 'more draconian responses' is disgusting, in effect, arguing that political state has to *respond* to workers, history of class conflict violence is one of violence initiated by capital and ruling class state (which, btw, is problem with 'relative autononmy' state theories, because when push comes to shove - or as engels put it, 'in the last instance', political state will operate to crush working class organizations...

perhaps you fancy yourself lbo's resident hobbesian, hobbes said that he and fear grew up together, that one of his first memories was of looking out at the harbor of english coastal town where he was raised and seeing the spanish armada about to attack, hence his for leviathan...

3) thread was about historical u.s. organized labor/'mob' relations, your post to which i responded included following: The bottom line is that you cannot pin the absence of national labaor movement in the US on repression alone.

in other words, you moved away from thread topic, and in post to which i'm currently responding, you moved even further away from thread topic to democratic party...

but hey, i can't imagine you letting anyone rain on your parade, er opinion, so blather on garth... mh