[lbo-talk] growth to quality of life

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Feb 11 10:52:02 PST 2006

parthasarathy kalalesrinivasaranga wrote:

> Capitalism has create the material conditions under which maximum
> freedom is possible . But it has also crearted most uneven
> distrivbution of the fruits of human labour .

Both these claims are dubious:

1. In temperate climates, adults in hunting and gathering tribes spend about 10-12 hours a week "working". Most of their time is devoted to religious practices, family, storytelling, and whatever else they can think up. As I think about my past week as a middle-class professional in an industrialized society, I have a hard time arguing that I have more "freedom" than somebody in a hunting and gathering tribe: for better or worse, due to the prevalence of bureaucracy in both private and public organizations, my life is structured quite rigidly (time to do x, then y, explicit rules and regulations about how to act in setting z, etc).

2. Most anthropologists and sociologists contend that the most intense level of social stratification occurs in agrarian societies (e.g., ancient Egypt, feudal Europe). Inequality--by most meaningful measures--is less pronounced in industrial societies than in the typical agrarian society.

Miles