[lbo-talk] "How people Perceive the World": A Translation

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 21 17:27:30 PST 2006

It has been my experience, with few if any exceptions, going back to my first involvement in group politics in 1965, that when someone says "But this is how people perceive the world" what they really mean is "This is how I perceive the world but I don't want to admit it out loud."

The first step in convincing anyone of anything is to decide (independently of tactics of persuasion) what it is that one wants to persuade them to believe. Only then does one begin to explore the relationship of desired goal to present consciousness.

Carrol