[lbo-talk] Down with Lawn Mowers and Leaf Blowers! (was Too Oldfor Rap)

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 30 13:11:19 PST 2006

On 30 Jan 2006 at 9:52, Dennis Perrin wrote:

> Leaf blowers (and snow blowers for that matter) do nothing for me -- toys
> for overgrown boys. But lawn mowers? Can't go there with y'all. I like
> cutting my grass, and I love the smell of freshly-cut grass on a summer
> morning. I find soothing the sound of a nearby lawn mower as I sit on my
> porch with a cold drink. Goes back to my childhood, I'm afraid, and to my
> teens, when I cut 3 1/2 acres of lawn per week atop an orange riding mower.
>
> Dennis

Why not an electric mower? That's what I use and besides being much lighter and nearly silent it is far less polluting and easier to use. Its light weight coupled with its virtually vibrationless quality means mowing is far less fatiguing. Good for me and the environment. If polluting gas burning appliances are to be replaced with cleaner appliances it will have to be with something that consumers think is better. Most people are not willing to "trade down" for environmental reasons.

I looked at a micro-sheep this weekend to supplement the mower. It was only 12" high at the withers and 45 pounds. I would need to build a fence however and I'm not certain if some of my dumbass neighbors dogs, who are let loose at night, might not try to kill it. I'm undecided on the micro-sheep. It apparently makes a nice wool.

John Thornton