[lbo-talk] Ward Churchill responds to U. of Colorado investigation]

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat Jul 1 21:35:03 PDT 2006

Michael Smith wrote:

> The gatekeepers will start to look a little silly,
> once people can just vault over the wall.

They'll vault right over that wall, and land headfirst in a swamp with no swimming skills or life-raft. The US Left has a terrible, near-fatal addiction to anti-intellectualism -- radical change is supposed to be this do-it-yourself, fix-it project, a view oddly consonant with the Rightwing demonization of Big Government. I'm not saying this out of any great affection for academia, which can be as atrocious as any service-sector sweatshop, but just to note that ideas and concepts are immensely powerful tools.

The problem with Churchill isn't that he failed to give a cite now and then. He was making stuff up, and the whoppers got bigger and bigger over time.

-- DRR