[lbo-talk] books on adolescents...

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jul 7 16:36:53 PDT 2006

joanna wrote:

> I will just have to go to UCB and see what I can dig up in the psych
> library.
>
> Didn't we used to have a lurker/sometime poster who was a shrink? Miles
> or something like that?

I'm no shrink (my specialty is social psychology, about as far away from clinical psychology as you can get!). I didn't recommend any books because I honestly can't think of a book about adolescent development that would be practical and helpful to a parent. There are (a) goofy pop-psych books or (b) academic articles that test specific hypotheses and do not really focus on practical parenting advice. I also have an adolescent in the house right now, and I have to say that none of my professional training as a psychologist is much help to me as a parent.

Some developmental psychologists may disagree, but parenting's an art, and having a lot of academic knowledge about adolescence isn't as helpful as it may seem.

It would probably be more useful for us to share our parenting experiences and compare notes; I've noticed that a substantial number of us have adolescent or post-adolescent offspring. It would probably also be helpful to Doug and Liza--sure, Ivan's cute now, but just wait!

Miles