[lbo-talk] Liza on coffee

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jul 7 21:27:08 PDT 2006

Jordan Hayes wrote:
>>> Is Jordan right about the drop-off in coffee
>>> consumption?
>>

>> U.S. coffee consumption shows impressive growth
>

> Sigh.
>
> Consumption is up. PER CAPITA consumption is down.
>
> That is: the growth in population of the US is outstripping growth in
> total coffee consumption. Get it?

One other variable here: generational differences in the strength of a cuppa joe. My grandma's coffee is pretty much light brown water; in general, I've noticed that younger people tend to make much stronger coffee and drink it with a bit of milk. If this is typical pattern, then per gallon coffee consumption could be decreasing even though the amount of coffee consumed is not.

Drinking some sludgy french roast,

Miles