[lbo-talk] Liza on coffee

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 22:44:51 PDT 2006

> One other variable here: generational differences in the strength of a
> cuppa joe. My grandma's coffee is pretty much light brown water; in
> general, I've noticed that younger people tend to make much stronger
> coffee and drink it with a bit of milk. If this is typical pattern,
> then per gallon coffee consumption could be decreasing even though the
> amount of coffee consumed is not.

Yeah but if you're making it stronger, you're using more beans so this would seem to be a wash whether you're making it at home or in a fancy diner.

As for the original question, I have had this discussion often with the people at the coffee shop near my house. Many of their coffees are certified fair trade, but all of them are really really good. Though I'd like them to have all their coffees fair trade, their position is that, when they can get it certified fair trade, they do, but they are committed to buying quality coffees at top dollar for the producers and hopefully creating a sustained business for those communities--and encouraging them to shoot for the high quality coffee market which would yield them better profits on a regular basis. They specialize in small batches of high quality coffee that they buy at auctions and/or connected with communities of coffee growers in mostly Africa and Latin America. If you happen to be in DC or northern virginia, they have two locations. http://www.murkycoffee.com/

But they get all their beans from Counter Culture Coffee in North Carolina which sells them online if you're interested. I haven't bought them from CCC diectly, but if they're anything like the stuff they serve at Murky, it's well worth it--and most of it Organic and Fair Trade, if not Shade Grown. http://www.counterculturecoffee.com/index.php here's their take on Fair Trade: http://www.counterculturecoffee.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=41

If I don't buy my beans there (it can be expensive for a grad student) I but them online at Dean's Beans. The coffee there is still quite good if you get the right blend and cheaper than most other fair trade organizations. Along with being organic, fair trade and often shade grown, they also do a lot of profit sharing and, in the case of the Chaipas blend, some support of political activism.

http://www.deansbeans.com/coffee/index.html

I recommend just about any of their medium roasts and most of the dark and light/dark blends are worth a try though a few of them are a little too darkly roasted for my taste.

Now if we can just get No Sweat to make some clothes that are halfway fashionable, I can feel better about getting dressed after my morning coffee. American Apparel has only a few selections and you can only wear so many colors of an identical piece of clothing before you start to feel a bit drab. Again, it's silly but you know it won't really catch on until people can feel like they have a selection they won't have to settle for.